Thoughts Active and Passive learning + My Experience

Throughout my life, I have always questioned myself why students are not assigned to work on questions during class time, and instead, listening to lectures that makes us lethargic (sorry to many teachers 🧑‍🏫 ). Why not get well prepared before class and enhance our prior knowledge during the class? After reading and listening to this week’s materials, I have acquired some ideas regarding future teaching design. EDCI337 has been a great online course in terms of the instructor giving students sufficient time and information to create our blogs. However, I seldom feel not fully socially interacted despite having the learning pods. Although EDCI both includes active and passive learning, the fact that we have to face screen every minute of our study makes me emotionless, consequently giving me a sense of anxiety. Discussion through zoom does help students to interact with others; however, I would not like to call this a social interaction without even getting to know each other in reality.

I have had some experience of active learning through online games during middle school. In one of the history classes, students were assigned to create ancient Egyptian and Mayan pyramids to understand the complexity of the architecture. Many students, including myself, felt engaged and closely interacted despite being held online. Perhaps, since we worked on the project in the classroom and not at home, solely. It was the moment when I felt games could be used in the study design shortly as with considering the advantage of active learning rather than passive learning.

Photo by Nina PhotoLab on Unsplash

Both learning method has merits and demerits. I will not elaborate on this since I would need to find some researches and studies. Passive learning is still the mainstream model in our current education system. Considering the potential and positive effect of active and flipped learning design on students, which I have experienced, they should both be implemented in the future.

Simple explanation about the active learning method

← Previous Post

Next Post →

1. japaneseteacher

Hi Atomu! Thank you for sharing your honest reflection and thoughts regarding active and passive learning as well as your thoughts on the learning we are experiencing at this right moment. I agree that even with Mattermost learning pods, if someone missed a week of interacting, rest of the group member can feel a little isolated or pause the learning all together because of the lack of interaction which can possibly lead to weaker retention of the material.
    Just like how you said about learning history through online game, also known as game-based learning, I think you were able to have a great experience because everyone was the key participant where they are constantly noticed, what they do are noticed, and interaction was an aspect that really helps to step up in the game instead of it being forced! What a great way to learn!

I also love the video you shared at the end! It was very interesting to learn the science behind active learning. This video not only taught me about that but also taught me how to make a good informative video. On top of the animation and use of colour techniques, content wise, I liked how the creator included the time it can take per activity, how to transition from one activity to another, and case by case scenario using relatable examples!
    I apologize about the long comment, but your blog got me thinking a lot! Thank you for sharing!

Anna

2. queenieyao

Hi Atomu,
    Love your blog post for active learning. For the experience you had, I felt you are really luck that your teacher can combine game and history class together. This can make a “boring” history become more understandable. I am so excited that I can read this interesting experience from you.

• atomin

Thank you, Queenie. The integration of entertainment(game) and teaching has more benefits that could overwhelm the traditional teaching method. Students could easily recognize their interest in studying, which will enhance their ability to input and output information.

Again, thanks for your comment.

3. tyannapridge

Great post, Atomu!

I agree with you that flipped classrooms are usually more fun and fulfilling than normal lectures. Sometimes they can be stressful though too, in my opinion!

I think myself and many other students struggle with the online/Zoom learning too. I definitely miss working in groups in person and being in physical classrooms, so I relate to your sense of anxiety from looking at screens all day and from the lack of IRL interactions.

Thanks for your post!
    Tyanna 🙂

4. qixingyu

Good blog, Atomu.
    Flipped classroom should be very attractive for students. Because it is fun and students will be enjoy the process when they are learning.
    Due to COVID19 These years, every student feel tough having online courses. Hope this situation can be changed.